Parent Teacher Association (PTA)
Every child. One voice.
One hundred years ago Alice McLellan Birney said, "Let us have no more croaking as to what cannot be done; let us see what can be done, and above all see that it is done." That brisk philosophy still drives the PTA today. While the methods may change to make us more responsive to the demands of an electronic era, the underlying principle does not.
Purpose of the PTA
To promote the welfare of children and youth in home, school, community, and place of worship.
- To raise the standards of home life.
- To secure adequate laws for the care and protection of children and youth.
- To bring into closer relation the home and the school, that parents and teachers may cooperate intelligently in the education of children and youth.
- To develop between educators and the general public such united efforts as will secure for all children and youth the highest advantages in physical, mental, social, and spiritual education.
The Parent Teacher Association (PTA) is committed to increasing parental involvement in support of Severn River Middle faculty, staff, and students. Research indicates parent support helps to provide the best learning environment possible for students to be academically successful. And we think that's important.
Get Involved with the PTA
There are 3 ways to get involved with PTA in Maryland:
1. Join a PTA Unit.
If you know the PTA district you are in, send an email to the district president.
If your neighborhood school has a PTA, you can join that PTA and automatically become a voting member of the Maryland State PTA and the National PTA. Each PTA sets its own dues, typically between $4.00 and $10.00 per member. The amount of the dues is found in the PTA's bylaws. Dues are not tax-deductible.2. Organize a New PTA unit
Please send an email to the Maryland State PTA office requesting information on organizing a new PTA unit.
3. Contribute to the Maryland State PTA without joining.